[Wine] what is faster: wine20041019 or 0.9

Joshua Crawford mortarn_lists at yahoo.com.au
Fri Nov 4 10:33:15 CST 2005

* Matthew L Reed <matty at zootal.com> [2005-11-03 16:13 -0800]:
> From: "Sylvain Petreolle" <spetreolle at yahoo.fr>
>>--- Matthew L Reed <matty at zootal.com> a écrit :
>><...>
>>>
>>>Example - run eMule. It is unbearably slow. Is it eMule, or Wine?
>>in this particular case, why not run some linux ed2k client ? (aMule ?)
>
> My understanding is that amule is not being currently maintained, and I
> like eMule. I could be easily persuaded to run a native ed2k client if I
> could find a good one, do you (or anyone else here) know of any?

mlDonkey <http://www.mldonkey.net/>. As the website says,
"MLdonkey is a multi-platform, multi-network, peer-to-peer client written in
the powerful Objective-Caml language. Originally it was the first
open-source client to access the  eDonkey network . The protocol was
reverse-engineered using the efficient protocol sniffer,  Pandora . It has
evolved to support the following networks:
* eDonkey				* Gnutella (Bearshare, Limewire,etc)
* Overnet				* Gnutella2 (Shareaza)
* Emule-kademlia			* Soulseek (alpha)
* BitTorrent				* Direct-Connect (alpha)
* Fasttrack (Kazaa, Imesh, Grobster)	* Opennap (alpha)
* FileTP (FTP/HTTP downloads)"

You can download a binary (ie, no need to install OCaml unless you feel you
need to compile it yourself), and you needn't turn on all those protocols (I
think only eDonkey and FileTP are enabled by default).

ObWine: Using a recent cvs version, I can't run a file named 'start.exe'
from a cdrom. Wine always uses it's own start.exe.so, even when I give an
absolute path. I.e,

mortarn at bruce:~$ wine /mnt/auto/cdrom/start.exe
Start a program, or open a document in the program normally used for files
with that suffix.
Usage:
start [options] program_filename [...]
start [options] document_filename

/M[inimized] Start the program minimized.
/MAX[imized] Start the program maximized.
/R[estored]  Start the program normally (neither minimized nor maximized).
/W[ait]      Wait for started program to finish, then exit with its exit
code.
/L           Show end-user license.

start.exe version 0.2 Copyright (C) 2003, Dan Kegel
Start comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY; for details run with /L option.
under certain conditions; run 'start /L' for details.
--
Joshua 'bruce' Crawford ... http://www.geocities.com/mortarn

"As we anarchists say: 'There's no government like no government.'"
		-- D'Arcy J.M. Cain (darcy at druid)