[Wine] do I have to worry if executing an exe that may contain a virus under Wine?

James Hawkins truiken at gmail.com
Tue Nov 8 14:33:59 CST 2005

On 11/8/05, peter kostov <fedora at light-bg.com> wrote:
> Hi, I have a question:
> do I have to worry if I run with wine an executable that may contain a
> virus (I am running linux as  a normal user, not root)?

It shouldn't be a problem.  Your .wine/drive_c *may* be infected, but
even if that happens you can just rm -r .wine.  I say *may* because
most viruses rely on very specific internal windows behavior or bugs
to latch onto the system, and it's possible we don't replicate
whatever behavior the virus is expecting.  I think it's fun to try
running .exe's I know are viruses in wine, just to see if it will
work.  The only think that might be of concern is if H: is mapped to
your home directory, which I think it is by default now.  I'm not sure
if the virus would be able to get out to your home folder and corrupt
those files or not.  One thing is certain, just to be safe, don't run
as root like you said.

--
James Hawkins