[Wine] Warcraft 3

Scott Ritchie scott at open-vote.org
Tue Nov 8 20:46:40 CST 2005

On Tue, 2005-11-08 at 20:28 -0500, Philippe Anctil wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have installed and played WC3 on Linux quite a lot around 20031212
> release. The game played almost perfectly and I was very happy about that.
>
> I have reinstalled it recently. I am currently running it under Wine 0.9 on
> FC4. I find the performance to be inferior to what it used to be. I am
> experiencing frequent short pauses ingame. It seems to be related to units
> and building selections, through direct clicks or marquees. It makes the
> game harder to play. I won't dare returning on bnet until this works better.
>
> My comp is a Celeron 1.4 GHz with 512 MB of RAM. I've had the same config
> since I started using Wine.
>
> How's WC3 working for you? What's your cpu? What is your distro?

Well, if you started using Wine since 2003, before the config file was
removed, it's quite possible that you'll need to do some settings in
winecfg.

However, settings don't typically need to be set special anymore.
Looking at Warcraft 3's somewhat outdated entry in the Application's
Database: http://appdb.winehq.org/appview.php?versionId=1177

You should be running the game in OpenGL mode.  Are you?  Go to the game
directory in a shell terminal and launch it this way:

wine "Warcraft III.exe" -opengl

Someone should update the howto, however, especially to refer to the 0.9
release.

Thanks,
Scott Ritchie