[Wine] do I have to worry if executing an exe that may contain a virus under Wine?

James E. LaBarre jamesl at bestweb.net
Thu Nov 10 22:31:44 CST 2005

James Hawkins wrote:
> On 11/10/05, Sylvain Petreolle <spetreolle at yahoo.fr> wrote:
>
>>Files are still at risk since the virus has _read_ access on them.
>>As an example viruses replicate by reading mail adresses into files.
>>

> The only way you could store personal information outside of your home
> directory is by running as root, which is always a bad idea.

Not necessarily.  I have a data partition formatted as FAT32 to be
shared between Linux and Windows 2000.  This partition is mounted under
a "windisk" group which has R/W permissions (umask 0007).  I can then
work with my OOo documents whether booted to Win or Linux, and I also
have Thunderbird under each pointing to the same mail files.