[Wine] Re: Fedora Core 4 system lockup with wine 200506.. - 0.9.1

Adam Gibson agibson at ptm.com
Sun Nov 13 06:59:25 CST 2005

Rein Klazes wrote:

>On Sat, 12 Nov 2005 11:39:42 -0500, in gmane.comp.emulators.wine.user
>you wrote:

-- cut

>>>Stop all wine processes;
>>>edit your ~/.wine/system.reg and look for something like:
>>> [Software\\Wine\\Config\\Winmm] 1101586916
>>> "Drivers"="wineoss.drv"
>>>
>>>Try changing "wineoss" to "winealsa", something else or even to "none".
>>>
>>>Rein

-- cut

>>I did not see an entry for Software\\Wine\\Config\\Winmm.  I did a grep
>>-i Winmm of the system.reg file and I did not find anything.  I tried
>>running winecfg but of course my system just locks up :).
>>

>Just add the two line snippet that I quoted to the end of the
>system.reg. The idea is that wine will take the default driver
>wineoss.drv if there is no such section. If that driver is causing
>crashes or worse, some manual intervention is needed.
>
>Rein.

I have a feeling you are on the right track.  I will be able to test
this out Monday when at work.  The vortex2 card was never supported by
default with OSS under Fedora Core 3 so I have a feeling that it is only
supported in FC4 through the alsa OSS emulation.  With FC3 I had to
compile the driver from sourceforge for OSS because alsa was not shipped
with FC3.  With Fedora Core 4 the vortex2 card is supported using alsa
so I never bothered installing the OSS driver.  Maybe the OSS emalation
for the vortex2 is not quite up to snuff and the newer wine code
triggers the driver bug.  OSS emulation using alsa for other apps works
fine though.  The sound card is the only thing that is questionable as
far as drivers go I think.

Thanks for all the information.  I have a feeling the info above will work.