[Wine] Fedora Core 4 system lockup with wine 200506.. - 0.9.1

Adam Gibson agibson at ptm.com
Sun Nov 13 09:40:31 CST 2005

Peter Beutner wrote:

>Adam Gibson schrieb:
>

>>Anyone have any ideas that could track down the cause of the lockups?
>>You can't really debug much when the whole system locks up.  I have to
>>hit the reset button to get things running again.  I have not
>>experienced any other lockup issues running any other apps with this
>>system for the past year.
>>

>If you have another pc around you could check if the box is still reacheable via ping
>after the lockup, which might indicate that it's just X which died. In that case its
>probably really related to your video card( or its driver).
>Maybe you could try with the standard vesa driver.

The lockup causes everything to quit working.  Pings do not return
anything.  Rein in another email has mentioned looking at the sound card
configuration with wine.  I think that will lead to the right path to
solve this.

>You might also try with another kernel(best the vanilla one from kernel.org).
>Doesn't Fedora ships his kernels with lots of security stuff(memory protection, selinux,
>dunno what else) enabled?

I have only tried the kernels that FC4 have release since 200505.
SELinux is set to permissive so nothing is getting blocked.

>Perhaps playing with sysrq could help you to get more infos where it locked up
>I never used that myself, but there is a documentation in the kernel
>sources(linux/Documentation/sysrq.txt). Or just google ;)

If Rein's ideas do not result in anything I will try this path and see
where it leads.

>Last possibility i can imagine is a hardware failure(RAM, power supply). But as it only
>happens with wine this seems relative unlikely.

I have thought of that and while anything is possible, the lockups only
occur with wine for the past 6 months.  I have a feeling Rein is on the
right track with the sound card.

Thanks for the feedback.  Taking your time to respond is appreciated.