[Wine] Newbie: any hope of running a dongle-protected app? Aladdin HASP on LPT1...

Thomas Nichols wine-user at nexus10.com
Wed Nov 16 17:12:31 CST 2005

Hi,

I'm a complete Wine newbie, still in the "Shock and Awe" stage... so
apologies for obvious stupidities. I'm trying to run a VB6 app, probably
1999-vintage, under Wine. It is protected by a parallel port dongle from
Aladdin. The app installs, the HASP drivers (latest version) apparently
install, but when I run the app it tells me "HASP device driver not
loaded". I'm starting to dig through debug logs for more info, but
before I start on this....

    - is this insane?
Is there any reasonable hope that even if I can get the app to
communicate with the HASP device driver, I will then be able to get the
"device driver" to communicate with the dongle on LPT1?

I believe the HASP driver is haspds_windows.dll - there are also a bunch
of VXD files, which according to the FAQs won't work on Wine. have I
understood correctly these VXDs wouldn't be used on a WinXP box? The app
runs fine on XP (so long as the dongle is attached).

If this is a hopeless cause I'll just have to dual-boot, use VMWare or
whatever.

TIA,
Thomas.

System: Gentoo Linux 2.6.14-r2 Wine 20050725 -- waiting for an ebuild of
Wine 0.9 :-)