[Wine] Sudden WINE slowdown

Kris Harris kristopherjharris at hotmail.com
Wed Nov 16 20:46:46 CST 2005

The symptoms:
I installed wine a few days ago, and it ran nice and fast (20050725) -rather
pleased with it actually, like this new winecfg over ~/.wine/config file!
Had no problems today installing a new program (I've installed it under
older wines w/ other distro's too, and it seems like
software that is easily adapted to wine).

I shut down wine after using this new prog under it for a bit, and now
everything I start under wine takes several minutes to appear (even the
pre-packaged notepad, which usually opens very, very fast). However, once
running it runs perfectly normal and fast. Also, everything else runs
perfectly normally.

steps taken so far:
re-booted
moved .wine directory and re-ran winecfg - slowly :(
run notepad, still runs slowly
also tried unmerging wine, and re-emerging it and starting from scratch
again (erase .wine directory and re-run winecfg)

If I monitor w/ top, I have >60% idle on the cpu, and > 600 Megs of free RAM
there are no full file systems (all have > 1 gig free)
hdparm -tT shows a good (40 MB/sec) transfer rate

I didn't install anything else, fresh, or even run emerge in between.
Any ideas for how to debug this problem (i.e. is it slow looking for files,
or contacting X, or ...)

The only one thing I have done is that today, I started up a secondary X
virtual terminal (some yutz wrote some software I need
that only runs in 8 bit colour depth, so I run it in a second instance of X)
- I wanted to process some of the data created by this crappy program with
Kspread and Konqueror, so I also ran it on the second X. Now, I think that
the integration-of-components scheme that KDE uses doesn't like having KDE
progs running by the same user on two virtual terminals. Maybe since it's
the startup process that runs slowly, wine is trying to figure out which X
server to contact or some such thing (I did re-boot though, and not run the
second X server and had no improvement)

system:
athlon 1700+
1 GB ram
120 GB HD
Nvidia RIVA TNT2 graphics card
gentoo-sources kernel 2.6.13
xorg 6.8.2-r4

thanks in advance for any help with this problem,

Kris Harris