[Wine] Some applications does not work

David Johnson johnson_d at cox.net
Thu Nov 17 22:29:11 CST 2005

CxxUnit is your friend.

I have found that writing testcases _before_ fixing code speeds
development cycles and prevents backwards steps.

Write test case, prove it fails
Fix code
prove testcase passes

Next pass, you run all of the testcases that have ever been made and
confirm that you haven't broken anything else.  Before release, all
tests must pass.  If a test fails, you must determine whether the test
is broken or the code is broken, and fix whichever is broken.

Over time, even doing this on an adhoc basis, you end up with a fairly
complete automated test suite that "proves" all of the areas that have
ever been problems.

It still takes time to run these tests.  However, four hours of the
machine running all-out can run a lot more test scenarios than I could
manually.  Automating the test setup, execution, and teardown means that
I can guarantee the scenario I want to test - there is no guesswork or
falling into patterns (in the long run).

I have an app that runs roughly 700 million dollars of business per year
that has had zero support personnel for two years.  The use of open
source automated regression testing frameworks written in the
programming language of the product has allowed the department
responsible for the product to thoroughly re-test any outside impacts
even though they have no programmers on staff familiar with its
programming environment or language.

Tying the open source testing library to the product has allowed me to
build intelligent diagnostics, which in turn allows the product to
explain to the user what is wrong, who to contact, and/or what to do to
fix the problem themselves.

CxxUnit is your friend.