[Wine] Lotus 123 with Wine

Krister Hallergard krister at hallergard.fsworld.co.uk
Sat Nov 19 13:09:07 CST 2005

Am a newbee to Linux and am trying to evaluate various distros to see how they fit my needs.  For this purpose I now have six trial Linux partitions on the same machine.  My other criterions to replace XP as my main system have been passed by all the distros,  but remains the last one: to be able to handle Lotus wk4-files.  That is where I have my history.

First tried installing Lotus 123 from SmartSuite 96, which worked fine, but when trying to open a wk4-file all distros froze.

Next tried to install Lotus 123 from SmartSuite 97, which worked fine except for Mandriva 2005 Ltd Edition which did not react at all to "setup.exe".  The other distros opened Lotus 123 but died on me after about 10 seconds.  Except Fedora Core 4, which died after trying to open more than about two files.  Thought this might be a memory problem, so I tried to reduce the demands on the system by elliminating a lot of options in user setup, smart icons setup and view preferences.  After having done this I found that I got a fully working Lotus 123 on my Fedora distro!!

My other distros did not let me change the settings before dying.  So I copied over the lotus directory and the wine registry files (I don't use wine for anything else - so far) from Fedora.  For most distros the result was the same - dying after 10 seconds.  Also got Mandriva to work like that. But SuSE 9.1 didn't die - it worked!!,  just as well as (or even better than) Fedora Core 4.

All distros had the Wine version 20050830 except SuSE 9.1: 20040213.  Did try version 0.9.1 on Mandriva, but no difference to the 10 seconds death.  Actually the installation said that 0.9.1 was older than 20050830!?  The other distros were SuSE 10.0 and Kubuntu 5.10.  Did also try to copy over Lotus 123 Millenium Edition to the Fedora partition but it died on me as soon as I tried to retrieve a file.

So I have to well working versions of Lotus 123 SmartSuite 97 on Fedora Core 4 and SuSE 9.1, but this is only with the console command "wine winefile" and then go to the Lotus file 123w.exe to start.  When trying to start from the menu shortcut, Lotus 123 starts okay, but it dies when I try to open a file or change a setting.  How do you explain that??

Would very much appreciate suggestions how to to proceed to get the other distros onboard!  Is this a memory problem, and if so how to solve it?

Krister Hallergard
Lytham, UK