[Wine] Re: Warcraft 3

Philippe Anctil z77y16 at hotmail.com
Sun Nov 20 19:01:03 CST 2005

>> > I will see if this is a swapping issue. I think I'm also going to do
>>some
>> > tests with 20031212 on RH9. From that point I'll be able to tell if the
>> > problem really appeared in Wine.
>> >
>> > Another bug I've seen a few times is a hang. The image on screen
>>freezes and
>> > the last bit of sound replays forever until I kill the game. Have you
>>seen
>> > that one? I thought it was related to music, but I've seen it occur
>>with
>> > music disabled no later than yesterday.
>
>I have confirmed Warcraft 3 plays much smoother on RedHat9. I do experience
>the same type of hiccups on RH9 in terms of when they occur (ex at the
>beginning of a game when selecting my workers). However, they are so short
>they are barely noticeable.
>
>I ran the game with the same nvidia drivers and the same version of wine
>(0.9.1) on both distros. The next step will be to see if recompiling my FC4
>kernel helps performance.

I have recompiled my kernel. I was hoping options CONFIG_PREEMPT=y,
CONFIG_HZ_1000=y, CONFIG_HZ=1000 would help, but they didn't.

Another thing I've tried is to disable sound while playing. It does not
remove the hiccups.

So I'm stomped. Until someone explains to me how to fix my problem, Wine
0.9+ and FC4 is a bad mix to play Warcraft 3.