[Wine] Re: Lotus 123 with Wine

Molle Bestefich molle.bestefich at gmail.com
Wed Nov 23 14:03:51 CST 2005

Hannu Valtonen wrote:
> > Although the Wine developers will punk you if you as an outsider try
> > and submit a code patch without a thorough test case, they happily
> > submit lots of stuff themselves that break things all the time :-).
>
> That's highly misleading. No patch goes in to the CVS if it does not
> pass the testsuite. (Atleast on Alexandre's machine) This doesn't mean
> that all patches come with an accompanying test, but those that do have
> a far higher likelihood of getting into CVS.

I can produce a bunch of patches right now that passes Wine's test
suite but will destroy any application trying to run on Wine.  I don't
think the original comment is misleading.

> The reason applications break is that as bugs are fixed, they often
> reveal other bugs, for which there are no testcases yet. That's why it's
> important for users to report when their applications break, and to tell
> which patch broke it. (Note that even this doesn't guarantee success,
> because even then the patch may well be correct even if it breaks the app)

I have no way of proving that the above is either false or true, so
I'll refrain from commenting on it :-).  Except to say that I don't
believe everything checked into Wine is bug fixes - there's bound to
be "behaviour changes", performance optimizations and code cleanliness
patches here and there, for example.