[Wine] Internet Explorer installs under wine as default Win2K but then crashes when run...

xyzzy1 at hotpop.com xyzzy1 at hotpop.com
Sat Nov 26 04:58:16 CST 2005

On Sunday 20 November 2005 14:18, Philipp Ludwig wrote:
> Am Sonntag 20 November 2005 09:36 schrieb xyzzy1 at hotpop.com:
> > Thanks for the responses... I have not tried this yet.  I am resisting
> > the idea that I have to load >250K of garbage (?) registry entries into
> > my wine registry simply in order for Internet Explorer to work under
> > Win2K.  Is this right?  What are all those values for?  Does any other
> > application need all of this?
>
> Hm I understand you, but...
> the reg files have changed; I had downloaded a 330 KB tgz. When you extract
> this, it's about 2 MB.
>
> All these values are the standard windows registry entries which are
> created during the windows installation:
> - CLSIDs
> - document types
> - key structurs (HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\...)

ok... Thanks for the reply.  If I feel like polluting my Wine space, I'll
install these values and see if it works for me.

On a general note, what does this do in terms of licensing.  That is, if I own
a copy of Windows 98, does that give me the right to install copied registry
values to my Wine installation from a vanilla install of Win2k?  Isn't that
where these registry values come from?

Why aren't the necessary date provided by a Wine install?

Is there any other workaround to be able to get IE6 to work under Win2k Wine?