[Wine] Printing in Wine 20050725

Fred Yeadon fwyeadon at sbcglobal.net
Sat Sep 10 17:16:24 CDT 2005

I have just reinstalled wine on my Debian Sid (unstable) system after several years without it, in order to run a handful of Windows applications: IE, Lotus Notes, ...  I use CUPS to support printing under Linux, and several years ago had no real problems printing from Windows applications running under Wine.  However, I am now unable to print from any of them using Wine release 20050725.  When I try to print, either the application hangs or I do not see any available printers inside the printer selection list in the Print command.

I have the Debian packages wine, wine-utils, libwine, libwine-print, cupsys, cupsys-client, cupsys-driver-gimpprint, and cupsys-driver-gutenprint.  While I normally install binary packages, I tried compiling wine from source just in case, but the home-built version had the same behavior.

I have noticed that people regularly mention printing problems on this mailing list, but haven't come across a case that sounds like this one.  Given all the changes in 20050725 with the new winecfg tool, is there some 'secret sauce' that is now needed to enable printing from wine?

Thx in advance,
FWY