[Wine] The Wine project needs YOU to help triage bugs!

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Tue Sep 27 10:14:06 CDT 2005

On 9/27/05, Dan Kegel <daniel.r.kegel at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 9/26/05, Mark Knecht <markknecht at gmail.com> wrote:
> >    I guess it's stating the obvious, but just using the standard Wine
> > install I tried both Quicken 2005 and Office 2000 today. Neither
> > installed.
>
> Hmm.  I would have agreed, but Mike Mccormack is
> looking for examples of installers that fail,
> and says he'll fix them.  Are you using wine from cvs?
> That should be in the best shape.

I am using Wine from portage - wine-20050830 - more or less as per
your original call for action, at least as I read it.

> >    Is there any stated policy about things like Winetools? What should
> > we expect Wine to handle and when should we resort to using things
> > outside of Wine?
>
> When it comes to QA of Wine, I think one should
> not use Winetools.  We want to test pure wine,
> not wine plus a bunch of microsoft DLLs.
> - Dan

My thought also. No winetools for now, not that it isn't great. It may
even be necessary but at least we should try Wine by itself before we
start adding other things in.

Also, to keep this as clean as possible I'm doing an rm -rf .wine
after each attempted install. I do not want, for instance, a Quicken
install, good or bad, to leave something behind that another app is
depending on, good or bad. Wine should be able to install a Windows
app and make it run. If it cannot then we need to understand why and
find a way to install helper things if necessary. At least that's my
view, and what I think winetools has been doing for us.

Cheers,
Mark