[Wine] New user

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Tue Sep 27 14:53:17 CDT 2005

On 9/27/05, Pablo Giménez <pablogipi at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all, i'm a new user of wine and i have some doubts.
>  First i'm using wine with gentoo.

Welcome.

>  I read in the wine web some info about the config file that wine uses, but
> in the gentoo ebuild no sample file is installed, or i haven't found it.
>  Even more it seems that the winecfg application is used to configure wine,
> but it seems to not be finished and uses the registry files in ~/.wine to
> store the configuration settings, it's a pain to touch any registry file, is
> there any way to use the config file that is described in the docs?
>  Where can i get a sample file ?

OK, there is confusion about all of this. The config file existed,
pretty much as a requirement, up through maybe the middle of last
year. (I think.) Then the developers did away with the config file and
told us we could run without it. However it seemed that there were
many things that still needed the config file even though it didn't
technically exist anymore.

There used to be a sample config file in the source tree if you
compiled from source. There might still be but I think that portage
doesn't install that anymore. (If it ever did.) I cannot find it on
this machine.

>  I need wine to run a windows application that use tcp/ip, is the network
> layer implemented in wine, so this emulated application can connect with for
> example another linu native application that use tcp/ip too?

Wine will talk to the network. Whether that's good enough for your app
I wouldn't know.

>  Another doubt, if my windows application uses their own dll, appart from
> the standar windows dll, there is a way to ensure that the application can
> found this dlls?

There is. It would be placed in the config file we cannot fine.

Just recently the winecfg app started doing more. There is a page
(Libraries) where I beleive you are supposed to be able to specifiy
dlls. I've not tried it.

Good luck,
Mark