[Wine] Wine not properly loading config file

phil lemelin phil.lemelin at gmail.com
Wed Sep 28 15:51:07 CDT 2005

Thx to Rauch and Christian for their answers. Just understood how a mailling
list is working and sending this to wine-users....

Anyway, has stated earlier, i'm using wine version 20050524.
Installed it from the RPM for RedHat 9 from the
winehq.org<http://winehq.org>download section.

Has I was reading the new replies, the thread from *Pablo Giménez*, caught
my eye.
I had the same weird issues.

In that version of wine, the config file is needed for some part...
Example. If I wanted to set the wine desktop size to 800x600 with the
winecfg tool, it would not work and had to edit the config file that I
copied from the /etc/wine directory and put in the $HOME/.wine/ directory.
Same thing happens for the windows version. No effect if I changed it with
Winecfg. My apps ( word viewer, excel viewer, powerpoint viewer ( all 97
cause 2003 are buggy under wine) would not install unless specified to use
the "win98" explicitly. However, drive mapping is no more supported in the
config file. You have to use the winecfg Drives tab to do it. Other option
is to "ln -s /your/path/here f:" in you /dosdevices folder and add this
entry to system.reg :

[Software\\Wine\\Drives] xxxxxxxxxxx
"F:"="hd"

That worked for me. Word viewer and power point viewer are working without
any problem.

Now i'm trying to make excel viewer work.... No matter what file I try to
open with it, I get a :

"blabla.xls" cannot be accessed. The file may be read-only, or you may be
trying to access a read-only location. Or, the server the document is sotred
on may not be responding.

tried "chmod 777 test.xls" on the file. Nothing.
I can open the file with word viewer however... still trying to fix that.