[Wine] Re: Keyboard Rewrite

Derek Fawcus dfawcus at cisco.com
Sat Apr 1 08:56:48 CST 2006

On Fri, Mar 31, 2006 at 01:33:18PM -0600, Tom Spear wrote:
> Hi all, this is a call for volunteers.  I am hoping that certain developers
> participating in another thread are willing to rewrite the keyboard code,
> but we need people to test.  If you are interested, please reply here saying
> that you are interested, and what kind of keyboard you use, as well as the
> layout you use under X.  I will be creating a wiki page for this project
> once the people who will be taking on this rewrite confirm that they will do
> so, and will post the link to this thread as soon as it is created.
>
> The purpose of this rewrite is to (hopefully) fix all of the problems people
> have with key mappings, characters not showing up as expected, race
> conditions, characters not showing up at all, etc, and hopefully allow us to
> close out many of the bugs in bugzilla having to do with the keyboard.

Well I'd be willing to try,  as I have a peculier keyboard layout,  and failed
on my first attempt to hack the wine source to match,  it seemed to ignore
what I specified wrt to symbol changes.  But then I did not try debugging it.

I'm using a UK layout 105 key keyboard,  with a few changes that make if more
like a teminal keyboard,  so it is a bit of a weird mix between a USA and a
UK mapping.  Some of the choices derive from the fact that this is plugged
in to a UK layout IBM T40,  and so the extra windows are missing when using
the native keyboard.

The descriptions below apply to the layout of the external keyboard,  not they
laptop layout.

The key Marked 'Esc' (to left of F1) generates Backslash (or Bar when shifted)

Some of the number row is remapped to be more like the USA/Terminal form:

   Key to left of '1!' (keycode 49) generates Escape (like a proper terminal)
   Shift of '2' gives At          (normally Quotedbl)
   Shift of '3' gives NumberSign  (normally Sterling)
   AltGR of '3' gives Sterling
   AltGR of '4' gives EuroSign

I had to change the results generated by keys to the right of 'L' such that
they made sense.  So I also have a bunch of quotes there:

The key to the right of ';:',  marked as "'@',  keycode 48 gives the following:
    Unshifted            Apostrophe            (normal,  as marked)
    Shifted              QuoteDbl              (normally At)
    AltGR                LeftSingleQuoteMark
    AltGR+Shift          LeftDoubleQuoteMark
The key to the right of that one,  marked as "#~',  keycode 51 gives the following:
    Unshifted            Grave                 (normally NumberSign)
    Shifted              AsciiTilde            (normal,  as marked)
    AltGR                RightSingleQuoteMark
    AltGR+Shift          RightDoubleQuoteMark

Caps Lock (to left of 'A') gives is a duplicate Control_L,  and no key generates Caps Lock

The key marked '\|' to the right of the left shift key,  is a duplicate Shift_L
The left windows key (between left shift and left alt) generates Super_L
The right windows key (between AltGR and Menu key) generates Super_R
The Menu key (between right windows key and right control key) generates Alt_R

The AltGR key is ISO_Level3_Shift,  and when shifted is Multi_key.  But I've never
found a use for Multi_key yet.

DF