[Wine] Re: Re-proposal: web forums

Fabian Cenedese Cenedese at indel.ch
Tue Apr 25 08:28:28 CDT 2006

Hi

This mail is not for/against a web forum, just trying to help.

At 08:59 25.04.2006 -0400, Angela Burrell wrote:
>My vote is for a web forum.
>
>Why?
>
>Because I'm a wine user, not a developer. I subscribed to this mailing list
>because I had a question about wine installation/use/errors (or whatever)
>and not because I wanted to read every single message going back and forth
>about wine, that does not relate to me or my problem.

Then disable the mail delivery.

>On a Web forum, I could just search for topics that are related to what I
>want.

You can do the same in the mail archives, e.g.
http://www.winehq.org/pipermail/wine-users/2006-April/thread.html
That's not a real search but older topics usually get outdated quite
fast as wine improves... gets developed :)

>Also, I wouldn't be getting 100+ irrelevant messages/day to my (size
>restricted) inbox that I have to sift through, while waiting for my answer.

The wine-users list has just 200 mails for the whole month so far.

>A web forum will e-mail me when someone responds to MY question.
>
>THAT is why a web forum would be great!!!

Of course, a forum can have its merits, but for the occasional search
the mail archives (accessed with google) serve quite similar a purpose.

bye  Fabi