[Wine] Possible to rename .wine directory?

Peter Beutner p.beutner at gmx.net
Fri Apr 28 11:05:45 CDT 2006

Hi
Rainer M Krug schrieb:
> Hi
>
> I would like to have more then one .wine directories. Is it possible to
> change the name of the .wine directory to e.g. .wineSomeOtherName and
> still be able to use it? I could do it in a script and simply rename the
> directories, but I would prefer to call wine with e.g. an additional
> parameter to specify the folder to use.

-> man wine ;)
---
ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
       wine  makes  the environment variables of the shell from which wine is started accessible to
       the windows/dos processes started. So use the appropriate syntax for  your  shell  to  enter
       environment variables you need.

       WINEPREFIX
              If set, the content of this variable is taken as the name of the directory where wine
              stores its data (the default is $HOME/.wine ). This directory is also used  to  iden-
              tify the socket which is used to communicate with the wineserver.  All wine processes
              using the same wineserver (i.e.: same  user)  share  certain  things  like  registry,
              shared  memory,  and config file.  By setting WINEPREFIX to different values for dif-
              ferent wine processes, it is possible to run a number of truly independent wine  pro-
              cesses.
---
So if you changed your ~/.wine to ~/.wineSomeOtherName, just run wine like that:
WINEPREFIX=~/.wineSomeOtherName wine app.exe