[Wine] Re: problem installing DesignCAD 3D Max 14.1 under wine

R. Steven Rainwater steve at ncc.com
Fri Apr 28 13:48:23 CDT 2006

R. Steven Rainwater wrote:
> Daniel Skorka wrote:
>> Actually, it's even more complex. For some reason, some
>> drivers support GLXChooseFBConfig, although they claim
>> to be GLX v1.2. This  has led to GLXChooseFBConfig being
>> used indiscriminately.

I've posted a few questions about this issue on the Mesa mailing list
and the concensus seems to be that this behavior is broken in wine, at
least in that wine is not correctly determining whether or not the glx
it's talking to supports glXChooseFBConfig before it tries to use it.

My impression is that the correct approach is to determine whether the
server is 1.2 or 1.3 first.  If it's 1.3, glXChooseFBConfig can be used.
If it's 1.2, something like glXChooseVisual should be used.
glXChooseFBConfig should not be used with a server reporting 1.2 unless
wine can somehow confirmed that it's available.

I've downloaded several older versions of wine and it looks like up
until version 20050419, wine used only 1.2 functionality like
glXChooseVisual. After that version, glXChooseVisual was replaced by
glXChooseFBConfig but no checking is done to see if there is glx support
for 1.3 or glXChooseFBConfig (other than the error if a NULL is
returned). What should have happened (I think) is that 1.3 support
should have been added and the determination to use 1.2 or 1.3 made at
runtime.

There doesn't appear to be a bug filed on this specific problem, so I'll
probably do that once I get a little more supporting info together.

-Steve