[Wine] Re: problem installing DesignCAD 3D Max 14.1 under wine

Daniel Skorka skorka at gmx.net
Fri Apr 28 14:51:24 CDT 2006

R. Steven Rainwater <steve at ncc.com> wrote:
> I've downloaded several older versions of wine and it looks like up
> until version 20050419, wine used only 1.2 functionality like
> glXChooseVisual. After that version, glXChooseVisual was replaced by
> glXChooseFBConfig but no checking is done to see if there is glx support
> for 1.3 or glXChooseFBConfig (other than the error if a NULL is
> returned). What should have happened (I think) is that 1.3 support
> should have been added and the determination to use 1.2 or 1.3 made at
> runtime.

This is correct. I once stumbled onto the same problem with another
piece of software. I proceeded with incorporating the old code as an
alternative into the then-current wine, and switching as appropriate. It
worked, however Raphael had some objections as to the way the old code
did it's work. As I am neither a windows nor an OpenGL hacker, and also
since I switched my hardware, which made the problem disappear, I did
not pursue this further. Have a look at wine-devel from November 2005. I
can also send you the mails I have exchanged with some developers about
this.

Daniel