[Wine] Re: Jack

David Baron d_baron at 012.net.il
Sun Apr 30 07:15:12 CDT 2006

On Friday 28 April 2006 03:05, wine-users-request at winehq.org wrote:
> > Installing alsa and jack libraries places devices for these in the
> > winecfg menus. If I choose jack, what I would expect is that the wine
> > instance would init jack clients for audio in and out and midi in and out
> > (not really jack but jack can connect these as well). The jack out
> > clients might be connected to the default alsa device, etc. This is
> > normal for jack aware applications.
> >
> > I do not see any such "clients" when wine starts.
>
> Well, what do you mean as in "see" these clients? Do you mean as in
> processes listed in top/ps? And if so, what name do you expect them to
> be? If you are looking for, ohh, jackdsp, you won't find it. Assuming
> JACK follows esound and aRts in naming, that would be a OSS
> compatability wrapper.  Wine uses JACK directly, and so the Wine
> processes themselves would be clients.

Here is what actually happens if I try to start an application in wine with
jack enabled:

First one in-client appears on the jackqctl connections screen. Wait some
more, a second in-client appears. Wait some more until ten of them appear.
Then, I suppose if I have the patience, ten out-clients will appear. Then,
maybe the application will use one or two of them.

These are audio. No MIDI "clients" appear. Try running muse of rosegarten and
see the difference.

I do not believe wine is using jack appropriately and there is probably no app
which will require or use ten ins and outs. Clients need be opened in
response to the application "probing" or "attemptin to init" them.

No audio clients appear in the alsa listing but this listing, as is the OSS,
is by card. MIDI works fine if I can choose which of these devices to use. It
might be interesting to try jack with OSS using jacklaunch.