[Wine] Wow, patching and installing wine

Alexander Nicolaysen Sørnes alex at thehandofagony.com
Fri Aug 18 09:08:53 CDT 2006

Fredag 18 august 2006 08:57, skrev Dennis Neumeier:
> > Wine does not need any patches to install WoW correctly.  You only need
> > to patch Wine to run WoW if you have an nVidia card; if you have an ATI
> > one, you don't need any patches for Wine at all.
>
> Ah... I should have read through all the lines at
> http://appdb.winehq.org/appview.php?iVersionId=5109 - then I qould have
> read the point that the patch is only needed for nvidia-users... Sorry!
>
> > You never need to re-install WoW, and you only need to compile/patch Wine
> > if you want to use the newest Wine version all the time.
>
> Well, that could be an issue, I think. As Blizzard can change code of WoW
> as they like, wine can then be one step behind. And then, it might be
> necessary to patch wine to get WoW running correctly again, I guess.

There is seldom a need to patch Wine when WoW gets an update, but if Blizzard
does something that breaks Linux compatibility, a patch is usually available
on the WoW AppDB page within a day.
Patching and compiling WIne is not very difficult, nor time-consuming (ca. 20
minutes).

> This seems important to me, because if this really happens, some people
> (like me) do think about installing a Windows just for playing games then.
> On the other side, there's one point which seems quite interesting to me:
> Most of the games nowadays can be installed on Windows and Mac. Now, what
> about this Mac story? As far as I know, the modern MacOS are based on Unix,
> so is it really that difficult for developers to make a linux port of the
> game?

It is very easy for Blizzard to make a Linux version of WoW, at least, since
it can use OpenGL; but they don't seem to want it.  I have seen some logos on
their website saying this like 'Windows Advantage', so my guess is Microsoft
is paying them to not release it for Linux (they had a Linux client for the
first beta).

> Greets,
> Dennis

Alexander