[Wine] Re: Double-clicking Windows .exe's (was "What apps work in Wine")

David Baron d_baron at 012.net.il
Wed Aug 23 02:49:33 CDT 2006

On Wednesday 23 August 2006 07:25, wine-users-request at winehq.org wrote:
> you can't double click an exe, you have
> to run it with wine, ie "wine game.exe". there is a way to make it so that
> you can double click exe files, but that way makes your system vulnerable
> to windows virii, so you should really stick to the standard.

On my Debian Sid system, I CAN double click. I did not do anything I recall to
enable this. I assume (maybe incorrectly) that binfmt package is what enables
this.

So how does one configure this correctly?
1. The above-mentioned virus vunerability--is this true. (RULE--never click on
anything in emails would apply in linux as well, even if proper
security/permissions would stop a virus).
2. Some .exe's should NOT run with WINE! .net programs should go through mono.