[Wine] Re: Problem running Windows Notepad under Wine

Michael Heiming michael+USENET at www.heiming.de
Wed Dec 6 16:50:09 CST 2006

In comp.emulators.ms-windows.wine Ian Couchman <i.couchman at virgin.net>:
> On Tuesday 18 July 2006 11:23, Michael Heiming wrote:
>> In comp.emulators.ms-windows.wine Bob Unitt <junk at bobunitt.wanadoo.co.uk>:
>> > Gentlefolk,

>> > I need to give someone the ability to create Windows-format text
>> > documents, which I can then copy (via SMB) to a W2000 machine for
>> > further processing. I've got the file-sharing up and running, and Wine
>> > installed and running Windows Notepad OK, but I've hit a snag trying to
>> > set it up to load Notepad automatically when the file-icon is clicked :-

>> Why not just use any Linux editor and run the result through
>> unix2dos and be set?

>> [..]

> Try using kate. This can be set up to save files with dos/windows end of line
> (under settings->configure kate/open/save)

Good point, just tried this with my preferred editor (vim) it does
recognize file format automatically and will save with CRLF line
terminators if the file opened was already in doze format. ;-)

Though it is still completely beyond me why someone wants to use
an editor as crappy as Notepad on Linux?

mail: echo zvpunry at urvzvat.qr | perl -pe 'y/a-z/n-za-m/'
#bofh excuse 373: Suspicious pointer corrupted virtual machine