[Wine] Problem with WAVE_FORMAT_ADPCM sound files

michal mich_r at o2.pl
Wed Dec 6 16:50:57 CST 2006

Hi all,
I recently managed to install "multimedia German dictionary", which I
get with the local newspaper , under wine and it works OK. The problem
it is when I try to use the most important feature for me - the
pronunciation. When I try to listen to any word , no sound is played
and wine outputs the following to the console:

wodOpen unimplemented format: WAVE_FORMAT_ADPCM

I rewieved the directory structure and I've seen that it has a bunch of
*.wav files in the directory, one file for the word. I was able to play
those waves with mplayer with no problems, and it said it is in the
MSADPCM format:

Opening audio decoder: [msadpcm] MS ADPCM audio decoder
AUDIO: 22050 Hz, 1 ch, s16le, 89.2 kbit/25.29% (ratio: 11155->44100)
Selected audio codec: [msadpcm] afm: msadpcm (MS ADPCM)

So could anybody tell me what's wrong here so I can't play the files
under wine (and how to make it work). Please help, my wife is learning
German and I promised her that she will be able to learn pronunciation
with the program. I wish not to install Windows for this little app, I
managed to avoid Windows in more complicated tasks and now I am gonna
fail for this tiny thing :(