[Wine] Re: Difference Between WINE and an Emulator

The Ghost In The Machine ewill at sirius.tg00suus7038.net
Wed Dec 6 16:51:04 CST 2006

In comp.emulators.ms-windows.wine, Draco18s
<draco18s2_DOES_NOT at LIKE_SPAM_hotmail.com>
 wrote
on Mon, 14 Aug 2006 15:40:51 -0400
<MPG.1f4a9bd1137ac4749896ec at news.teranews.com>:
> I've got someone who doesn't understand that WINE
> Is Not an Emulator and apparently doesn't get the FAQ
> on the site.  I personally don't use WINE (still
> being on Windows kinda avoids the need), so I don't
> really have the knowledge to argue this much farther.
> Here's his latest point (formating in clasic
> usenet style below), I need something simple that says, "no."

I'll admit to wondering myself.  WinE is a series of
library routines and maybe a wineserver that among other
things can translate Win32 calls into X ones, and File,
Process, etc. calls into basic Unix/C library ones, and
a whole lot of other stuff.

It of course is not an instruction emulator in the Bochs
sense, but it does emulate Win32.  Of course the computational
parts in the game/utility/etc. it can simply run natively,
since it also understands how to load Intel PE files -- Windows
.EXE offerings -- and set them up properly.

It therefore gets reasonably good performance.

So what does it matter, really?  It does the job, probably better
than native Windows. :-)

#191, ewill3 at earthlink.net
Windows Vista.  Because it's time to refresh your hardware.  Trust us.