[Wine] Re: Difference Between WINE and an Emulator

Mantar, Feyelno nek dusa mantar.feyelno at YourPantiesSirWilliamfrontiernet.net
Wed Dec 6 16:51:04 CST 2006

On Mon, 14 Aug 2006 15:40:51 -0400, Draco18s wrote:

> I've got someone who doesn't understand that WINE Is Not an Emulator and
> apparently doesn't get the FAQ on the site.  I personally don't use WINE
> (still being on Windows kinda avoids the need), so I don't really have the
> knowledge to argue this much farther.  Here's his latest point (formating
> in clasic usenet style below), I need something simple that says, "no."

 An emulator is a specific type of program that mimics hardware. Windows
is not a piece of hardware, ergo Wine Is Not an Emulator. It's merely a
clone of the Windows API.
 It's sort of like the difference between a program that performs
mathematical calculations on numbers, and a program that models the
internal structures of a Texas Instruments calculator -- a hardware device
which also performs mathematical calculations on numbers. The programs may
look similar, but inside, they are two entirely different beasts. The
gap between wine and an x86 emulator is a BIT less wide than that, but not
nearly enough to require a name-change on wine's part.

 OTOH, if he insists on making up his own definitions for words,
he's free to do so. He'll just have to put up with the fact that the rest
of the planet is talking past him.

--
 - Mantar  --- Drop YourPantiesSirWilliam to email me.