[Wine] Re: wine-users Digest, Vol 17, Issue 36

Flying wu_yinghui at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 20 08:30:02 CST 2006

wine-users-request at winehq.org wrote:

 > > > No, I tried creating .wine anew (by removing my old
 > > > profile, and run winecfg again), but no luck. There
 > > > were following errors upon wineboot:
 > > > ==snip==
 > > > err:wineboot:ProcessWindowsFileProtection WFP:
 > > > shdocvw.dll error 0x7
 > > > err:wineboot:ProcessWindowsFileProtection WFP:
 > > > shlwapi.dll error 0x7
 > > > err:wineboot:ProcessWindowsFileProtection WFP:
 > > > urlmon.dll error 0x7
 > > > ==snip==
 > > >

 > Those err's are harmless.
 >
 > > > And looking into ~/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/, the
 > > > Internet Explorer/ and Output Express/ folders were
 > > > created, but there is no iexplorer.exe in the folder
 > > > (only ie6setup.exe and other intermediate files
 > > > there).
 > > >
 > > > That's what I meant by "half-installed" IE6.
 > > >
 > > > Any more clue? (BTW, my WINE is 0.9.27, built from
 > > > source downloaded by WineHQ on Ubuntu Edgy.)
 > > >

 > I'm guessing you mean iexplore.exe and not iexplorer.exe.  If
 > iexplore.exe isn't there, I don't know what you tell you.  It works
 > for me and most everyone else.
 >
 > -- James Hawkins

Yes, you are right. I meant iexplore.exe.

I had slightly better luck now. When I create a new .wine directory by
winecfg, if I set OS emulation to Windows 2000 (the default was Windows
XP), I could actually get IE6 completely installed (at least appearantly
complete). But I still couldn't run it!

When I run iexplore.exe, it always show my a completely blank IE6
window, and pop up saying that it needs "Wine Gecko Installer." But even
if I press the "Download" button, nothing happens, and the IE6 window
remained empty.

After a little bit of searching, I tried installed Mozilla ActiveX
Control. This time round, IE6 no longer ask me to download "Wine Gecko
Installer," but still, the IE window is completely blank.

Appearantly, most people didn't have any problem installing IE6 from the
installer. But I just wonder if there is anything so peculiar about my
system (Ubuntu Edgy, completely new installation, Wine 0.9.27 built from
source)... It's been really a pain these few days while I was trying all
sorts of methods trying to get IE installed... *sigh*

Cheers,

--
Flying @ Flying's World
                      __,---.