[Wine] Re: FC4 - wine 0.9.5 - excel hangs on 'splach screen'

Krister Hallergard krister at hallergard.fsworld.co.uk
Thu Jan 19 09:22:54 CST 2006

No idea, Dan.  Am a newbie to Linux and there should be other people in
this group who could be able to answer your question better.

Anyway, am trying to evaluate which distro to go with, and one of my
needs was to be able to open my old wk4 files.  With Mandriva and
Kubuntu I was not able to install Lotus 123 and later I found that my
installation of Lotus 123 on FC4 and SuSe was not stable enough, so I
moved my interest over to Excel, which has filter for wk4.  Fedora and
SuSe installed fine, but I had to copy over a well functioning .wine
directory from FC4 to Mandriva and Kubuntu.  Still could not run Excel
with Mandriva, exited after a few seconds, but this proceedure solved
the Kubuntu problem.  I did run into permission problems with the copied
.wine direcotry, but this solved it:
	chown -R krister:krister /home
The to get Excel not to get stuck on the Welcome splash screen I did this:
	wine "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\OSA.EXE" -f
and than moved to an xls file, and after that I had no problems.  Did
you try this?