[Wine] What is Wine?

Joris Huizer jorishuizer at planet.nl
Sun Jan 22 09:58:59 CST 2006

Sumit Kumar wrote:
> Hello everybody,
>
>    I am confused that what is wine.Is it an windows emulator
>    or not.Because at different places on net their are different
>    opinion regarding that.
>
>          Again what wine stands for .Is it windows emulator or
>    something else.
>            Plz Help me.
>

> regards,
> Sumit kumar

wine uhm, emulates, the windows operating system environment
the statement 'wine is not an emulator' really indicates wine does not
emulate a PC - that is, as little as possible is emulated, "just" the
software, not the hardware -- this makes wine a more efficient solution
to run windows executables then running a PC emulator and a windows copy
in that; (also, the goal of wine is to have it run as much programs "out
of the box" as possible - without having to copy over windows dll files)

HTH,

Joris