[Wine] 128-bit encryption message since update to 0.9.6

david gnome at hawaii.rr.com
Fri Jan 27 02:25:07 CST 2006

Joachim von Thadden wrote:

>>>At the moment it seems that there are certain drawbacks with WineTools
>>>and Wine-0.9.6. As the situation with WineTools is undebuggable for
>>>developers I would suggest you either downgrade Wine to the version you
>>>had runnig before
>>
>>I'll think about that. I DIDN'T use WineTools with Wine 0.9.6, I used it
>>with 0.9.4. The newer version of Wine is just using the .wine that 0.9.4
>>was working fine with.
>
> So all tweaks of WineTools are in there... as I said: Undebuggable for
> developers.

Hokay, so basically something broke somewhere in Wine 0.9.6, and Wine
developers can't track it down because I presume it's some setting
somewhere in something that WineTools did - registry entry, DLL
overrides, etc, etc. Now, of course, there's nothing that says a similar
  setting might not be made somewhere in the Wine configuration by
winecfg, and similarly hose things that effect running IE6, and be just
as similarly undebuggable ...

I just tried to go back to my previous version - which was 0.9-1 (not
0.9.4, sorry). Now IT gives me the same error message about needing
128-bit encryption. So the new Wine must have hosed something in my
.wine ... I really hope that the developers of Wine and of WineTools
land on the same page someday. Wine desperately needs to be able to
handle installing Windows apps without making users jump through hoops
like the conglomeration in the app DB presents. WineTools is a step in
that direction.

Back to Win4Lin. If dealing with Wine upgrades means trashing your Wine
settings and starting all over from scratch each time, it's just as time
consuming as upgrading a Windows installation ... :-(

End of rant. 'Bye!

--
David
gnome at hawaii.rr.com