[Wine] Failure to install ComfyWare

Joshua Crawford mortarn_lists at yahoo.com.au
Tue Jan 31 07:44:31 CST 2006

* Dan Kegel <dank at kegel.com> [2006-01-30 21:38 -0800]:
> xyzzy wrote:
>> The preferred way of running the install is to run an application called
>> "start.exe" on the CD.  This failed strangely.
>>
>> $ wine /media/cdrecorder1/start.exe
>> Start a program, or open a document in the program normally used for files
>> with that suffix.
>> Usage:
>> start [options] program_filename [...]
>> start.exe version 0.2 Copyright (C) 2003, Dan Kegel
>
> Sorry 'bout that.  It looks like many people are starting to run into
> this.  What happened is, win9X had an app called "start.exe",
> so I added one to Wine.  WinXP made that a cmd.exe builtin command,
> though, and got rid of the standalone start.exe.  Now apps
> are starting to depend on windows not supplying a start.exe.
>
> You can probably work around that by removing start.exe from
> c:\windows\command.   One of these days we'll figure out
> how to do that right.

That doesn't work, but removing start.exe.so does.

> Sorry, I can't help with the rest of your problem, but at least
> I shed some light on the mysterious start.exe failure.

Thank you for providing a c:\windows\command\start.exe as windows does/did,
but why does wine use it instead of the one given on the command line (with
an absolute path, no less)? I can assure you that windows 98, which has
start.exe, doesn't do that .
--
Joshua 'bruce' Crawford ... http://www.geocities.com/mortarn

MACINTOSH - Most Apps Crash, If Not, Then Operating System Hangs