[Wine] Running Turbo C

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Mon Jul 10 16:38:50 CDT 2006

On 11/07/06, Paul Romanyszyn <arcelectronics at sc.rr.com> wrote:
> Dotan Cohen wrote:
>
> > On 10/07/06, Paul Romanyszyn <arcelectronics at sc.rr.com> wrote:
> >
> >> I installed via rpm dosemu 1.2.2.0 via rpm. Compiling from source is a
> >> problem to get freedos installed correctly.
> >

> > Yes, I have them installed, via apt-get.
> >
> >> In AN xterm
> >> xdosemu
> >

> > dotancohen at ubuntu:~$ xdosemu
> >
> >   You do not have the DOSEMU vga font installed and are running
> >   remote X. You need to install the vga font on your _local_ Xserver.
> >   Look at the readme for details. For now we start with an fixed font,
> >   which does not display all national characters correctly.
> >   ... be warned
> >
> > ERROR: Unable to open console to evaluate the keyboard map.
> > Please specify your keyboard map explicitly via the $_layout option
> > ERROR: X support not compiled in
> >
> > dotancohen at ubuntu:~$ sudo updatedb
> > dotancohen at ubuntu:~$ locate dosemu | grep readme
> > dotancohen at ubuntu:~$
> >
> > As explicit as those error messages are, I'm unable to find the readme
> > or to google anything relevant.
> >
> dosemu will run in a xterm. xdosemu makes it's own using the GUI. It may
> require more parts of the dosemu project.
> http://dosemu.org/
> I have compiled from source for several version but every time I would
> upgrade my distro it required doing some research to get my eprom
> programmer working on the printer port.

Not sure that I follow you. What else must I install? Or better yet,
where is that readme so that I can do wat it suggests?

> >> This fires up freedos in a new xwindow with some text and a c:>
> >> Copy tc.exe to the freedos C:\somedirectory
> >>  From the c:>
> >> cd \somedirectory
> >> tc
> >

> > When I do finally get to that point, would it suffice to just copy
> > over TC.EXE? Doesn't that depend upon other files in the /TC
> > directory? At least on /TC/BIN?
> >
> As a test I just copied the tc.exe. I am not using the debugger or
> anything else in the IDE. I did see a tcconfig.exe which I did not copy
> for the test. I was copying from a qemu/bochs  installed simulated
> harddrive.
> There could be some problems with the turbodebugger or the IDE when it
> tries to set breakpoints.
> Wine will run BC++4.5 more or less. It will compile projects but won't
> run them under the IDE.

Well, I do need to run them under the IDE. Otherwise I could just use
Kate and gcc.

For that matter, is there not a native linux app that lets one compile
and run (an IDE)? I've tried Eclipse and Ajunta, but they don't seem
to do C.

Dotan Cohen
http://what-is-what.com