[Wine] Running Turbo C

Legine legine.wine at web.de
Tue Jul 11 04:20:17 CDT 2006

Dotan Cohen schrieb:
> On 11/07/06, CptDondo <yan at nsoesipnaemr.com> wrote:
>> Dotan Cohen wrote:
>>
>> > Well, I do need to run them under the IDE. Otherwise I could just use
>> > Kate and gcc.
>> >
>> > For that matter, is there not a native linux app that lets one compile
>> > and run (an IDE)? I've tried Eclipse and Ajunta, but they don't seem
>> > to do C.
>>
>> OK, I am confused....
>>
>> Are you trying to build a dos executable using Turbo C or a linux
>> executable using gcc?
>
> I'm trying to learn C in the university!
>
> I don't really care where the program _can_ run, only that I can run
> it from within the IDE. We're learning pointers and arrays and
> recursive functions. We are not learning to build GUIs. So I can use
> whatever compiles ANSI C, so long as it compiles from within the IDE
> because I'll make five hundred small changes and I need to run after
> each change.
Hmm, gcc supports ANSI c if I trust Wikipedia :D. so you should be fine
with the standrad gcc compiler.

> So I'd prefer to use Turbo C so that I can be compatable with the rest
> of the fools in the course who come over to do HW and cry when they
> see a penguin. However, if there is something _similar_ native to
> linux that this newbie can install, I'd love to try it.
I heared a lot of good things about Code::Blocks (www.codeblocks.org)
A full featured C / C ++ IDE based on gcc, but supports differnet modern
compilers (MSVC++, Digital Mars, Borland C++ 5.5, Open Watcom), too.
It can compile code within the IDE and comes with neat features.
Works on Windows and Linux so there is a change you can confince others
(your professor? ;) ) to swich to gcc and Code::Blocks.
Of course all Open Source. :D

Here you find help setting codeblocks up for your distribution:
http://forums.codeblocks.org/index.php/topic,1194.0.html

Hope it helps
Legine