[Wine] RE: 256 colors (8bit) graphics not working

bebing a at b.c
Thu Jul 13 18:52:31 CDT 2006

I couldn't get my newsreader to access the original message, here is a
link:

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.emulators.ms-windows.wine/browse_thread/thread/4fdffdcd95559ee4/2295952f8bfc8817?tvc=2&q=256#2295952f8bfc8817

Not sure if it is applicapable to the original poster, but figured I'd post
this for posterity.

I was getting a 'need to run in 256 color mode' message when trying to run
Shanghai, an old win 95 game like Mahjong, and I was definitely running X in
8 bit depth mode.

Well, one of the things I tried was turning off double buffering for the
desktop under the graphics tab in winecfg, and it did the trick in my case.

A problem still remains where the palette used gives ok results on the videos
played in the game, but the gameboard screens are undecipherable, but I'm
not really going to persue this as I just wanted to see if it would work
at all.

Hope this might help someone.