[Wine] Re: Still trying to sort out an override problem

Bob Etheridge bobetheridge at shaw.ca
Sat Jul 15 14:22:11 CDT 2006

On 14/07/06 01:08 AM, Daniel Skorka wrote:
> Bob Etheridge <bobetheridge at shaw.ca> wrote:
>> On 12/07/06 09:11 AM, Daniel Skorka wrote:
>>> Bob Etheridge <bobetheridge at shaw.ca> wrote:
>> [lots of useless quoting deleted]

>>> I'm confused by what you mean with "not displaying".
>>>
>> I'm confused also.  That line of code is taken word for word from the
>> Wine database for my program.  In some languages the semi-colon is a
>
> Which program would that be? You didn't just enter the whole line as it
> is into winecfg, did you?
>
>> Yes, I assumed since the code was telling Wine to use the native dll
>> that it was already a part of my Windows system. It turns out that I
>> don't have those dlls.  So, provided I can find them somewhere on the
>> internet, what do I do with them?  Where do I put them so Wine can
>> access them?
>
> Put them into ~/.wine/drive_c/windows/system32
>
> Daniel

>> Which program would that be? You didn't just enter the whole line as it
>> is into winecfg, did you?

Yes, I entered the whole line exactly as it was quoted in the Wine
AppDb.  There is nothing there to make me think I should do otherwise.
With all the brackets and backslashes it looks like a line of code to
someone like me who is inexperienced with the quirks of this program.
It would seem logical that if that was not what was to be entered the
correct way of passing the information would be something like:

Enter the following without the quotes in the Libraries tab:
"the correct information goes here"

The program BTW is called Online Bible and is listed in the AppDb under
Reference/Documentation/Info>Online Bible

>> Put them into ~/.wine/drive_c/windows/system32

Ok, I did that.  Also, I was mistaken about those dlls being missing
from my system.  I eventually found them on C:/WINNT/System32 and copied
them over to the ~/.wine/drive_c/windows/system32 folder.  However, the
program still doesn't run.  Now, it no longer gives me the fixme
messages, but just sits there until I eventually shut down the program
with a CTRL-Z.  I have tried entering those dlls from the existing list
in the libraries tab, as native and also as native,builtin but neither
way seems to work.

i have probably done something wrong somewhere along the line, but I
don't know where.  The Wine documentation starts out with this
assumption in Chapter 4-Running Wine:

"Assuming you are using a fake Windows installation, you install
applications into Wine in the same way you would in Windows: by running
the installer."

After that I am not sure whether the information given applies to only
running a fake Windows or to running a real Windows system as well.  If
it is the former, where do I find the correct instructions for running a
program from a real Windows?

I have tried the various ways of running Wine according to the
instructions, but none seem to work.  This is the output from the terminal:

bob at ubuntu:~$ Path="d:\program files\bible"
bob at ubuntu:~$ wine olb.exe
wine: could not load L"c:\\windows\\system32\\olb.exe": Module not found
bob at ubuntu:~$ Path="c:\WINNT\system32;d:\program files\bible"
bob at ubuntu:~$ wine olb.exe
wine: could not load L"c:\\windows\\system32\\olb.exe": Module not found
bob at ubuntu:~$ wine d:\\program\ files\\bible\\olb.exe
wine: cannot find 'd:\program files\bible\olb.exe'

As you can see with the first set of instructions, Wine is looking for
my program on drive c: Even though it was told Path=d:
In the second set of instructions Wine says it can not find my program
there either.  The only load instructions that are partially successful are:
cd /windows2/program\ files/bible
$ wine olb.exe

Windows2 is the Linux equivalent to drive d: on my system.

When I first tried this, Wine created a Bible folder in my home
directory with a few files inside (mostly text files), but no
executables.  I don't know what it was supposed to do so I don't know if
this is normal.  Would copying the entire directory from my Windows
system on to my Linux system (home folder) be a possible solution?  I
don't know what to do next, so any help would be appreciated.

Bob