[Wine] Questions: How about Running Windows Mobile Apps on Linux?Smartphone

Geoff Streeter geoff at dyalog.com
Tue Jul 18 07:05:00 CDT 2006

At 2006-07-18 11:22 +0000, Daniel Skorka wrote:
>laotie linux <laotie at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Just want to know if any such projects?
> > 1)Running Windows Mobile Apps on Linux Smartphone
>
>Don't know about that, but I'd guess wine is missing something in this
>direction. I would also guess that wine is a bit to big (spacewise) to
>fit onto a Phone.

> > 2)Running Symbian Apps on Linux Smartphone
>
>Symbian is not related to Windows. It doesn't even run on x86
>processors.
>
>Daniel

I don't think I want to be that discouraging. Windows Mobile (or at least
Windows CE 2003) runs on ARM processors which are operating in little
endian mode. Do Linux smartphones use ARM in little endian? If they use big
endian (which is a sane byte order) then the project is a non-starter.

Lots of nasty problems just aren't there. No printers. No clipboard (or at
least not as much use of one). Windows CE does differ from WIN32API but it
is mainly a subset. In particular Windows CE is completely unicode. Also
all of that calling convention rubbish (__cdecl etc) is simply not there.
Most of the differences actually move in a POSIX direction (particularly
socket support). Just to encourage the developers - ARM assembler is really
nice to work with.

Geoff