[Wine] Inability to proceed with installation of Windows app

Leslie Katz lesliek at ozemail.com.au
Tue Jul 25 01:00:56 CDT 2006

Vincent Povirk wrote:
> On 7/24/06, Leslie Katz <lesliek at ozemail.com.au> wrote:
>> ... the successive installation
>> windows were all blank, though buttons in the windows (also blank) did
>> appear.
>>
>> I didn't find any reference to such a problem in the Wine
>> documentation ...
> The appdb page does mention it:
> http://appdb.winehq.org/appview.php?iVersionId=4641
Vincent, thanks very much for taking the trouble to reply to my post.

Sorry about the imprecision in it. The version of MS Money which I am
trying to install is MS Money98. I did look at the relevant page in the
database for that version of the application, but not at the pages for
the other versions, including the one you mention.
> Does the lack of text prevent the installer from working? What happens
> if you click the buttons anyway?
I did click on the default button in the first couple of screens, just
to see if text would begin to appear, but then became afraid to go any
further. I had a  recollection that at some stage I'd be asked for a
serial number to enter and felt that I must be able to read the text to
know when to do so.
> You could help the Wine project by trying to install it with Wine's
> built-in internet explorer replacement and filing a bug if it doesn't
> work. It changed significantly since 0.9.16 so you'd want to use
> 0.9.17, move away .wine, and start with the money installer. You may
> need to edit the registry to make the app think you have IE 6 (see
> http://wiki.winehq.org/UsefulRegistryKeys)

I'm afraid I'll have to expose my almost total ignorance in order to
grapple with the above.

I installed v 0.9.16, rather than v 0.9.17, simply because my
distribution had an RPM of the former and not the latter and the user
guide recommended using packages. I could delete that RPM and then try
to install the current version of Wine from source (though I wouldn't
bet the house on my chances!).

You say there's a built-in IE replacement in Wine. Is that new to
version 0.9.17 or is it in the version that I have installed now? I know
that I now have a file called winebrowser.exe, but it's only 1.0 KB in
size and not an executable file, I assume. Also, what about the
installed MSIE6? Would I need to delete that too?

As to "mov[ing] away .wine", is that simply deleting my current .wine
directory? I'm assuming that if I delete the current RPM, that'll
automatically remove the .wine directory.

If you have the patience to deal with all of these matters (most of I'm
sure are based on misconceptions), I'd be very grateful to hear from you
again.

Thanks again,

Leslie