[Wine] Re: tweaking wine - picasa version

Peter Heckert ph_newsalias2 at arcor.de
Thu Jun 1 01:10:26 CDT 2006

Daniel Skorka schrieb:
> Peter Heckert <ph_newsalias2 at arcor.de> wrote:
>> I installed picasa and this installed a customized version of wine too.
>> Picasa works very well and so I have the hope that other graphic editors
>> could work well with this wine-version too.
>
> I think that would be only by chance, if at all. The cutomized wine
> version is exactly that - a version customized to run picasa.
>
>> I dont understand much about wine and the scripts delivered with the
>> picasa-version are rather complicated - almost unreadable for me ;-)
>>
>> Is there an /easy/ way to tweak the picasa version of wine, so that it
>> can start another application or maybe arbitrary applications?
>
> I wouldn't waste my time trying to do that. The fact that one
> application that displays and organizes pictures works bears no
> relevance to the usability of another application. And since, as you
> say, this special version is rather hard to use I can see really no
> point in doing so.

There is a script - named "wrapper" in the directory /opt/picasa/wine/bin.
When I use this "wrapper Photoline.exe" then photoline starts up, but I
couldnt see a speed advantage. But here is one advantage: all fonts are
displayed correctly. All Buttons have black shadows as they hade with
other wine-versions and the curves dialog is slow and sluggish as it had
been before.

I hoped for improvements, because I had read about bugfixes for direct
draw and rpc.

regards,

Peter