[Wine] Internet Explorer 6 Setup & App DB

Luke Bratch l_bratch at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Jun 6 19:00:31 CDT 2006

James Hawkins wrote:
> The only thing you have to do to install IE6 is
place a copy of native
> inseng.dll in windows/system32 before running
ie6setup.  Then run
> ie6setup with no dll overrides.

This doesn't work for me either.  It gets the setup
program to download the files (when set to win98) but
fails to actually install.  This is the method I have
found works for me:

- Edit /usr/local/share/wine.inf and remove the
following lines:
11,,shlwapi.dll
10,,winhlp32.exe,winhelp.exe
11,,crypt32.dll
- Create a a fresh .wine directory.  It is important
that you edit the .inf file first, as the wine.inf
file in .wine is generated using the file you edited.
I believe the file may sometimes be found in
/usr/share/wine/wine.inf as well.
- Change the Windows version to win98 using wincfg
- Use the following file to apply some DLL overrides:
http://www.bratch.co.uk/tempwhilethecovenisdead/ie6_overrides.reg
(run regedit ie6_overrides.reg to apply it)
- Install native DCOM98 from here:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=08b1ac1b-7a11-43e8-b59d-0867f9bdda66&displaylang=en
- rm .wine/drive_c/windows/system32/regsvr32.exe
- Put native mfc40.dll in your
.wine/drive_c/windows/system32/ directory.  This isn't
needed for the install program to work, but after it
finishes copying files, it fails to load a .ocx file
with it.  Get it from:
http://www.dll-files.com/dllindex/dll-files.shtml?mfc40
- run ie6setup.exe, get it from
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=1e1550cb-5e5d-48f5-b02b-20b602228de6&DisplayLang=en
- In the setup, choose a minimal install and uncheck
Internet Connect Wizard for the easiest results.

This is mostly taken from the howto on the AppDB page,
partly from a comment about wine.inf, and the .reg
file which I have rehosted was written by someone
else, but the file is no longer available on their
site.

I did all those instructions myself here, with a fresh
install of wine-0.9.14, so it should (hopefully) work.

Also worthy of note is that the default page
(www.msn.co.uk) for me, crashes when it tries to load.
 I found that stopping it whilst it is still
downloading, and changing the home page to something
else fixes the problem, as most other pages seem to
load fine.