[Wine] wine 0.9.14, Xorg7.1 and nvidia driver

Jeff Vian jvian10 at charter.net
Sun Jun 11 08:00:12 CDT 2006

On Sat, 2006-06-10 at 13:31 +0000, A. Drosos wrote:
> Hi all
>
> Of interest to developers and Linux users with nvidia cards running Xorg7.1.
>
> 3 days ago I built wine-0.9.14 from source on a linuxfromscratch system.
> The built went fine. However, the fonts on all wine dialog boxes (e.g.
> winecfg) were invisible. I spent several hours rebuilding, trying out
> different combinations of freetype / fontforge etc.
>
> Anyway, my box uses an nvidia card and for 3d graphics accel I use the
> nvidia driver (version 8762 - partially supported in Xorg7.1). Switching
> back to the slower nv that comes with Xorg7.1, lo and behold, the fonts
> were visible and wine seems to work fine. So, I ended up having to switch
> drivers whenever I wish to use wine, trying to hold my breath until a new
> version of nvidia driver is released that supports the ABI of Xorg7.1 (:(
>
> Same holds for wine-0.9.15 that just came out.

A few days ago someone on the fedora-test list posted the following that
seems may be applicable to your problem.  It may be worth a try and see
if the work-around fixes your issue.

--------------------------------
It seems xorg and nvidia dislike each other with the latest version of
xorg. By putting in the Option line in the "Device" section, nvidia
again works correctly.  You can now see the fonts on kde.  Here is my
"Device" section from /etc/X11/xorg.conf file.

Section "Device"

 Identifier  "Videocard0"
 Driver      "nvidia"
 VendorName  "Videocard vendor"
 BoardName   "nVidia Corporation NV34 [GeForce FX 5200]"
 Option     "RenderAccel" "false"     <--------- This is line to add
EndSection