[Wine] Regression testing Money 2004

Tony Pursell ajp at princeswalk.fsnet.co.uk
Mon Jun 12 16:26:17 CDT 2006

On Mon, 2006-06-12 at 11:53 +0200, Detlef Riekenberg wrote:
> Tony Pursell wrote:
>
> >  > The start and end points were 0.9.9 (good) and 0.9.12 (bad), but
>
> So, when 0.9.9 is good, you should use this release and get it compiled
> without errors, before starting with "git bisect".
>
> You need a lot of dev-packages to compile wine with all options.
> More infos in "documentation/PACKAGING" and
> http://wiki.winehq.org/Recommended_Packages
> (You do not need all Audio-Drivers)
>
> > > When I complain that Wine won't run Money, the cry goes up "do a
> > > regression test - it's easy".  Well it's not easy for a non-programmer
> > > like me when this happens.  I have no idea where I go from here.
>
> Hm. I had no need to do regression-testing before.
> Then we need to figure it out, how to do that in easy steps and update
> our docs.
> http://wiki.winehq.org/GitWine?highlight=%28Regression%29%7C%28Test%29

Now I have successfully done my first compile (with thanks to all who
have helped me get this far), I can see that a specific "Regression
testing for Dummies" document would be very useful.  It should be
separate from the general usage instructions for GIT and, at least,
cover:

- Setting up a development environment (git, gcc, make, yacc, bison, etc
& libraries)
- Downloading the GIT repository
- git bisect
- compiling
- what to do when things go wrong (including linking to this list and
other support resources - us Dummies can't be left to flounder)

Thanks again, everyone.  I'll do my next compile tomorrow night.

Tony Pursell