[Wine] No printing possible in wine 0.9.15

Sven Rudolph sven at spaghetticode.de
Tue Jun 13 15:14:43 CDT 2006

Hello List,

I just installed wine-0.9.15, because I wasn't able to print with
wine-0.9.8, but unfortunately the problem persists.

System: Gentoo Linux 2006.0
Wine: 0.9.15 (duh)
Printer: Cups-1.1.23 on separate machine (Gentoo 2006.0), on localhost only
cupsclient

This is what i do:
- remove ~/.wine
- run winecfg from xterm
  winecfg complains about printer problems, but continues:

  wine: creating configuration directory '/home/sven/.wine'...
  To use WINEPS you need to install some AFM files.
  fixme:winspool:AddPrinterW DocumentPropertiesW on printer 'L"i560"' fails
  To use WINEPS you need to install some AFM files.
  wine: '/home/sven/.wine' created successfully.

- create a text file test.txt in ~/.wine/drive_c/ containing "This is a
test"
- open test.txt from winefile (chooses notepad)
- try to print the file with notepad, printer dialog shows up, but no button
has any effect, except "Cancel". Everytime i press "Properties" or "OK" the
error messages

"To use WINEPS you need to install some AFM files."

or

"fixme:commdlg:PRINTDLG_UpdatePrintDlgW No lpdm ptr?
fixme:commdlg:PRINTDLG_WMCommandW Update printdlg was not successful!"

show up in my xterm.

I searched Google-Groups and found some postings about this or similar
problems. Most of them saying "Update to a newer version", on of them
saying "It works when you remove gimp-print" and one (Huw Davies) saying
that this is a bug that was fixed in wine-0.9.

None of these hints was of any help for me, and since wine switched from
config files to registry, searching for misconfigurations is a real pain,
if possible at all.

Can anybody please help me with this?

Thanks in advance
Sven Rudolph