[Wine] question regarding sub 640x480 resolutions

altkai at ml1.net altkai at ml1.net
Thu Jun 15 21:16:54 CDT 2006

Hi all,

Recently I was trying Wine with some old games, and I found that Wine
was exiting because it couldn't set my screen's resolution to 320x240
(or 320x200). After fiddling with xorg.conf for half an hour, I
concluded that my laptop's LCD screen wasn't capable of that resolution.
I was able to get Wine to work using the umanaged desktop setting and a
virtual desktop of the exact size that the game was requesting, but
obviously that was unusable. Is this a known problem, and is there any
way to work around it? A simple hack would be to simply double or triple
the original game's resolution, that would be fine with me. (Maybe
there's a setting somewhere and I missed it)

Thanks in advance!