[Wine] Tricking a process in WINE to think its on a certain IP?address

Daniel Skorka skorka at gmx.net
Sat Jun 17 05:42:29 CDT 2006

Christoph Frick <frick at sc-networks.de> wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 16, 2006 at 07:01:18PM -0400, Steven Smith wrote:
>
>> The big idea is that I want to run several copies of a Windows app on the
>> same machine and make each copy think that it is running on a separate
>> machine, each with its own IP address.  Although VMWare would make this
>> possible, WINE is so much lighter and faster that I could have many more
>> copies of WINE running than VMWare.

I wouldn't know how to do that, but the idea sounds interesting. I think
you should go over to wine-devel at winehq.org and ask the developers how
to do (or implement) that.

> does the software you want to run on wine gets the ips from the
> registry? then you could just set it there and run it with different
> WINEPREFIX:es.

I don't think windows even stores the IP address in the registry. At
least on my wine installation the registry does not contain it.

Daniel