[Wine] Re: Serial port woes SOLVED

Captain Dondo yan at NsOeSiPnAeMr.com
Sat Jun 17 09:48:38 CDT 2006

On Sat, 17 Jun 2006 10:28:46 +0000, Daniel Skorka wrote:

> CptDondo <yan at nsoesipnaemr.com> wrote:
>> OK here's the deal:
>>
>> Apparently whatever does the timeout thing for file IO is waaaay too
>> short-tempered.
>>
>> I fixed the problem by preventing the fileIO from closing on timeout -
>> apparently forever, but who cares, it works.
>>
>> Comment out the following lines in ./dlls/ntdll/file.c in two places:
>>
>> //            wine_server_release_fd( hFile, unix_handle );
>> //            return STATUS_NOT_IMPLEMENTED;
>>
>> and both USB-serial dongles and PCMCIA-serial cards will work.
>
> Hmm, that's interesting. Could you maybe shed a bit more light on the
> background? It would be nice if this could be really fixed, instead of a
> hack.

The app is GMWIN 4, apparently a fairly straightforward VB6 app.

You can go to lsis.biz, it's a free download.  They ask for your email
addy, and then you can find gmwin and download it.  I've only been able to
download with IE, not firefox and not anything linux.

My only reasoning was that I was seeing timeouts on the various USB and
PCMCIA serial thingies we use around here, even in windows XP.  Googling
found lots and lots of issues around that handful of lines....

I could see that gmwin would send a very short string, and then nothing
would come back, so I just took out the offending lines.

I honestly don't have any idea why that works and I have not taken the
time to trace the code.  I am leaving on Monday and I needed a working
implementation so I tried a quick hack and it worked...  Sorry I can't
really present any solid theory for this....

My guess is that the USB/PCMCIA serial dongles add an additional delay,
and the timeout is too short....

--Yan

--
  o__