[Wine] Re: How come wine doesn't improve?

Tony Pursell ajp at princeswalk.fsnet.co.uk
Sat Jun 17 17:03:57 CDT 2006

On Sat, 2006-06-17 at 21:27 +0200, Detlef Riekenberg wrote:
> Hi Tony Pursell:
>
> > > I notice on the list of supported apps
> > > that it doesn't mention MS Money at all, which surprises me a bit.
> > > Perhaps MS
> > >  Money is a personal use product that businesses generally
> > > don't use (I have no idea actually)?
>
> > The apps I want to use (Money and a UK tax calculation package) are, of
> > course, personal apps.
>
> IMHO, the Problem is, that no Developer has Money 2004 and want to use
> it on his own. So the Priority is not very high for them.

Exactly. But if someone like me does the testing legwork and finds the
bug, it may get fixed. After all, a bug that stops one particular app
has the potential to break others.  Its my understanding that individual
developers concentrate on particular dlls or parts of the API, rather
than fixing particular apps.

I'm going to be much more pro-active in regression testing to get
regressions sorted out quickly.  Unfortunately, there are some
longstanding bugs in Money that would need a developer to look at.

> > I wonder if there is anything that non-developers, like me, can do to
> > encourage the developers to look at getting these non-games apps
> > working?
>
> Paid Support is available, but i have no Idea about the rates.

I doubt if I would be able to justify paid support.  We are talking
about very cheap software here around UK£30 (about US$40) a copy.  I
could run to the expense of buying a copy for a developer to work with.

Tony