[Wine] Re: wine-0.9.15 & winetools problems.

Peter Åstrand astrand at cendio.se
Mon Jun 19 02:25:50 CDT 2006

On Tue, 13 Jun 2006, James Hawkins wrote:

> On 6/13/06, Peter Åstrand <astrand at cendio.se> wrote:
>>
>> * I think it would be nice if you could include my command lines for
>> fetching & extracting inseng.dll, for those users without a Windows
>> installation nearby:
>>
>> $ wget
>> http://download.microsoft.com/download/ie6sp1/finrel/6_sp1/W98NT42KMeXP/EN-US/IE_S5.CAB
>> $ cabextract -L IE_S5.CAB
>> $ cabextract -L -F inseng.dll ie_5.cab
>> $ rm -rf ~/.wine ie_5.cab IE_S5.CAB
>> $ wineprefixcreate
>> $ cp inseng.dll ~/.wine/drive_c/windows/system32/
>> $ wget
>> http://download.microsoft.com/download/ie6sp1/finrel/6_sp1/W98NT42KMeXP/EN-US/ie6setup.exe
>> $ wine ie6setup.exe
>>

> If this method doesn't work for you, why should we tell users to
> repeat these steps?

This argument could be used on your method as well, since this method
doesn't work either, for several users.

In any case, the lines that downloads inseng.dll is not much to argue
about, it's easy to verify that these are correct (for example by
md5summing).

> If a user doesn't have a windows installation to copy the file from,
> they can download a working inseng.dll from dlldump.com, dll-files.com,
> et. al.  As long as they have a windows license, then it's legit.

Personally, I trust files from www.microsoft.com more than files from
other sites. An additional advantage of my method is that you get the
correct version of inseng.dll.

Let's make it easy for the uers. If we can document how to fetch
inseng.dll in three lines, why force the user to search on the net? Also,
many people might not be aware of that you can download inseng.dll from
dll-files.com etc. The Howto doesn't give you any hint on this...

Regards,
--
Peter Åstrand           ThinLinc Chief Developer
Cendio                  http://www.cendio.se